Schools - Brno EN
This page will provide you with essential information on education for the children of foreign nationals – both for pre-school children aged 3–6 years (the last year of nursery school is compulsory), and compulsory primary education for children aged 6+ years. We will give you the necessary information you need to know about school attendance and about nursery and primary schools. Most of Brno nursery and primary schools also provide catering (prices differ slightly in each school).
Information on education for children – foreigners
The compulsory pre-school education (the last year of nursery school) and the subsequent compulsory primary education apply not only to Czech and EU citizens, but also to foreigners entitled to stay in the territory of the Czech Republic permanently or temporarily for a period longer than 90 days, as well as applicants for international protection.
Some foreign children (as well as some Czech ones) attend foreign schools that provide education in the territory of the Czech Republic according to a foreign educational programme and in which the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports allows the performance of compulsory primary education.
Provision of education to pupils from other countries in nursery and primary schools is based on the Czech Education Act. The language of instruction is Czech in public schools.
In nursery schools, individual support is provided to children whose mother tongue differs from the language of instruction – groups for language preparation and support measures.
Foreign pupils are entitled to free-of-charge preparation for their inclusion in primary education, which includes lessons of Czech language adapted to these pupils’ needs, which is provided in groups for language preparation. The pupils are also entitled to support measures if the language preparation is not sufficient.
There are three primary schools in Brno that focus on the education of foreign pupils in the long term – with an emphasis on the teaching of Czech language in cases where there is a low level of knowledge of the language:
- ZŠ a MŠ Brno, Staňkova 14, p. o. (Primary and Nursery School Brno, Staňkova 14, contributory organization),
- ZŠ a MŠ Jana Broskvy 3, p. o. (Primary and Nursery School Jana Broskvy 3, contributory organization),
- ZŠ J. A. Komenského a MŠ Brno, nám. Republiky 10, p. o. (J. A. Komenský Primary School and Nursery School Brno, nám. Republiky 10, contributory organization),
and especially so-called designated schools for free-of-charge preparation for inclusion in primary education, which includes lessons of Czech language adapted to foreign pupils’ needs. Currently, there are 35 public primary schools (founded by municipalities) on the list of schools designated for language preparation. The list (in Czech only) can be found here: www.jmskoly.cz.
Education in English is offered by the private International School of Brno at Čejkovická 10 and some other private primary schools. We do not list them here as new ones are emerging continuously. If you are interested in your child attending such a school, search for them on the Internet and contact them directly.
Support possibilities for pupils, students and other persons with granted international protection
Those who are granted international asylum protection or subsidiary protection are entitled to a free course of Czech language of 400 lessons. The course is intended for children from the fifth grade or higher and also for students and other persons with international protection. The course is provided by the Czech as a Foreign Language Teachers’ Association.
Assessment of foreign pupils
The knowledge of Czech language is reckoned as an important factor influencing foreign pupils’ performance. Therefore, their knowledge of Czech is taken into consideration and their individual progress is assessed using individualized criteria – their performance is not compared with that of other pupils in the class!
How does enrolment in nursery school work?
(for children from three to five years of age)
- You need an application, which is downloadable/printable from the nursery school electronic enrolment page at zapisdoms.brno.cz from 1 April,
- according to the Education Act, enrolments in nursery schools are held from 2 to 16 May (schools decide about their own specific date/s themselves).
There are 137 public, 2 church and approx. 24 private nursery schools (with new ones still emerging).
Which documents will be required by the nursery school when enrolling?
- parent’s passport,
- child’s passport,
- proof of residence document with specified address in Brno (issued by the Czech Republic Foreign Police Department). This is important because of the school intake areas (defined by a municipal decree) which have to be followed during the nursery school enrolment.
How does enrolment in the 1st grade of primary school work?
(for children from six years of age)
- You need an application, which is downloadable/printable from the primary school electronic enrolment page at zapisdozs.brno.cz from 16 March,
- according to the Education Act, enrolments in 1st grade are held from 1 to 30 April (schools decide about their specific date/s themselves).
There are 65 public primary schools, plus 1 church school and approx. 16 private primary schools.
Which documents will be required by the primary school when enrolling?
- parent’s passport,
- child’s passport,
- proof of residence document with specified address in Brno (issued by the Czech Republic Foreign Police Department). This is important because of the school intake areas (defined by a municipal decree) which have to be followed during the 1st grade enrolment.
The compulsory pre-school and primary education in the Czech Republic, and hence in Brno as well, can be performed also as individual education (= home schooling, attendance in a private nursery/primary school, etc.). There are various obstacles in home schooling, e.g. the needed knowledge of Czech language, but if you are interested in it, please contact the nursery or primary school where your child will be enrolled formally for more information.